Monday, November 25, 2013

Pick of the Week: Children's Book Review

As I was browsing the internet for ideas about how to become an illustrator one of the websites I looked at suggested keeping track of the publishers that publish the books you like. Because I am always into children's books with my kids, and getting new selections all the time from the library I get to view a lot of children's books. Also, I noticed that I have been picking out details and ways that other illustrators have created a certain looks or feel that I don't want to forget. I am going to start posting my pick of the week for children's books. Things I want to include in my review (subject to change later): Title, Author, Illustrator, Publisher, Web Links, Summary, Story Likes, Story Dislikes, Lessons Taught Through the Story, Illustration Likes, Illustration Dislikes. So here goes...

Pick of the Week

Title: A Balloon for Isabel
Author: Deborah Underwood
Illustrator: Laura Rankin
Publisher: Harper Collins
Web Links: A Balloon for Isabel, Harper Collins Children's

Summary:Isabel wants a balloon but she and the other porcupines are not allowed to have them at class graduation due to porcupine quills popping balloons. Isabel and her friend Walter go to great lengths to find a solution so they will be allowed to have balloons at there class graduation. They don't want to be stuck with boring bookmarks again!  

Story Likes: Almost every kid can relate to wanting a balloon! The details hit on what kids LOVE about balloons, and what Isabel and Walter felt they were missing out on most. Characters had to "try, try again" to find a solution. Loved that the teacher wants to be "pop-proofed" in the end too!

Story Dislikes: Walter's dad owning a candy shop wasn't as clear in the beginning as I thought it should be. Also, when Walter and Isabel are eating at the cook out, the transition from talking about all of the candy at Walter's house to talking about the color of balloons they wanted could have transitioned a little smoother. It does show a random switch of topic so typical of children's conversations though.

Lessons Taught Through the Story: Problem Solving, Perseverance

Illustration Likes: The bright colors are very cheerful and full of energy. Characters have great emotion, not only in the great facial expressions but also the characters whole body. I also like how the pages all varied from one picture across two pages to several pictures on one page, keeps visual interest higher. I also thought it was clever how the conversation between Isabel and her teacher was portrayed. There is one little picture next to each idea spoken. The picture shows the emotion of the speaker as they are speaking, which was fun to see.

Illustration Dislikes: The eyes on the raccoons looked a little strange to me on some of the pages. I don't know how to describe it exactly, almost expressionless in the eyes when the mouth was trying to convey happy... all the other characters seemed pretty good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts about my post? Leave a positive or constructive comment :)