Saturday, February 25, 2017

A Couple Weeks of Winter Sickness

     So I haven't posted for a couple weeks. We've had a lot of sickness in our house, getting over one thing just in time to catch another. Taking care of my family comes first. Now that we are feeling better again I think I'm ready to finish my story.

     The rough draft is about 2/3 of the way done. I am enjoying writing it, but sometimes doubt still creeps in. When I start feeling doubt, I remind myself of a comment my cousin made to me, how Jane Austin began writing stories to entertain and make her family laugh. Thank you Missy for sharing that with me. When I remind myself that my family is one of the main reasons I am writing stories, it keeps it fun.

     One thing that I did do a couple of times was draw with my two year old. Drawing with my two year old goes something like this: First we dump all the colored pencils and a few pens out on the floor. Second we get a paper or two and put them on the floor. Third, we color on the same page until the paper is too full for anything else or my son gets bored and grabs the next page. While drawing I try and make some sketches. Then my son proceeds to scribble over top and color my picture as we go.

     It's like art brainstorming for me. I've been told you can draw anything if you look for the basic shapes in what you are trying to draw. Basic shapes is about all I have time for when drawing with him. I have to go fast before my little buddy colors so much on my sketch that there's no more room. Some stuff I will trash, other stuff I will take pieces from to use in a better picture later.

Here are two of our pages.


     When we drew this picture I was trying to get an idea for the shapes to make a pigs head. I imagined the overall shape to be kind of like an avocado pit. I was never really happy with the ear shapes on this pig. One thing that I thought was kind of funny was the nostrils matching the attitude (or slant) of the eyebrows. Eyes are hard for me to get "right". They have to be expressive in some way and if the detail is overdone (at least with my abilities right now) it looks lousy. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes artists leaves gaps in lines and shapes and lets the mind fill in the blank. I decided to try it with eyes. Instead of drawing the line on the top and bottom to make an almond or circle for the eye, I just did a top line. (On the side of the page.) To me it feels simpler and more natural.


   
     This sketch I tried the left eye with the above technique. I was pleased with the results. The right eye... I'm not sure what happened there. The ear shapes felt a little better on this sketch. My son wanted to trade me his green colored pencil for my pen. So this pig got some green bows and the start of a dress.

     This weeks goals will be the same as the last time I posted. I am planning to finish my rough draft and learn more about the guidelines for children's pictures books. 

     Looking forward to a healthy week and fun story writing!  

3 comments:

  1. I like the evil pig's right ear (his left) and his scraggly chin beard. I agree that the girl pig's right eye turned out really neat. What a fun idea to be drawing with your boy! I think Mel would be interested in this post since she is wondering about how to work art into her busy Mommy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the right side, all I see is:
    -this is me
    -small snippet
    -favorite quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a Follow by E-mail box between This is me and Small Snippet. I will see if I can figure out what's going on. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete

Want to share your thoughts about my post? Leave a positive or constructive comment :)