Friday, January 27, 2017

I can't believe it's already 2017!

    
     I'm revamping my blog and bringing it back to life! While I've been gone from the blog I've been trying out different mediums and mixing them to see how they work together. It's been pretty fun! This year as I explore different techniques, mediums and resources I hope to post what I learn so that it may be useful to someone else as well. 

     This year I've set a goal to complete my first children's book! Be sure and check back! I will be sharing the steps I'm taking, awesome things I get done and even the mistakes I make. Hope you enjoy this year with me!  



Here are some oil pastel projects I did while I was away from my blog.


Cherry on a paper bag.

Orange on a paper bag.


    
     I got my oil pastels as a gift from my parents. I wanted to try them out but I didn't have any of my papers with me. I grabbed a paper bag to try them out on. This is what I got! I was pretty happy with the effect of oil pastel on a brown paper bag.





Butterfly on watercolor paper.






     This butterfly I did on watercolor paper. I didn't care as much for the texture of the paper when working with oil pastels. It left a lot of white spots on the page unless I tried really hard to work the pastel into the paper. I especially didn't like working on the background. Maybe as I work with it a little more I could find a better technique for using them with watercolor paper. 








Driving on blue card stock paper. 


   
     


     After the butterfly I decided to get a paper that would already have most of the background color there. So I did this little driving scene on blue card stock paper. It is one of my favorites with pastel so far. I love the cloud that is a little darker in this picture. I feel like the pastels blended really well and then smudged just right for a bit of rain. 

2 comments:

  1. The driving and cherry are my favorites. I really like the look of a non-white background and the there is a rich color harmony with the driving one. Picasso, in his poverty, painted on a lot of burlap so he often didn't start with white either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did surprise me how the non-white background made such a difference! Fun Picasso tidbit, maybe my using brown paper bags is a good start for me ;)

      Delete

Want to share your thoughts about my post? Leave a positive or constructive comment :)